We had our first "every two week" appointment yesterday with Carolee. Both of my midwives are so wonderful in different ways. For some reason, I feel like I have to have a "favorite," and every time I meet with one of them, she is my new fav! Then I will meet with the other, and she is my fav! Then I remind myself that I don't have to have a favorite and love them both! HA!
Our appointment was supposed to be at 1pm, and I received a voicemail while I was at work that one of the patients went into labor and a birth was going on and we were asked to come in at 130 instead.....I instantly got excited even though I have no idea who was giving birth, but it just reminded me that Sophia's birth is approaching! I get so excited about my appointments that I find myself rushing in my car to get there and getting butterfly's :) I look forward to being with Zach and our midwives and talking about everything that has to do with my pregnancy. Gwen, my mother in law came to this appointment. Of course, she loved the birth house and meeting Carolee. She wasn't able to see the two birth rooms, because of the birth happening. In fact, the baby must have been born right before our appointment, because when I "snuck" in the back to use the bathroom and test my urine, the back part of the house where the 2 rooms are was blocked off and a sign was hanging on a wall divider that said, "Shhhhhhh,........baby sleeping." :) LOVE IT!!!!
Back to our appointment.......of course I had my list of questions to ask Carolee. Throughout the week, I come up with questions and type them in my IPHONE to make sure I don't forget anything. My mother in law was cracking up, because both Z and I are super organized and we are big planners. One of the questions, I asked was "is it really necessary for me to take a breastfeeding class?" Carolee said absolutely not because we will have the midwives support if we need it and if there are complications, its better to figure them out then instead of "learning about it before it even happens." Not to say breastfeeding classes aren't good....just not necessary. Good! Because honestly I wouldn't be able to squeeze it in. Anyway, Gwen was laughing because she explained to us how times have changed and they had nothing like this when she had her kids......Times have definitely changed, and our generation is spoiled and blessed with all of the resources!
So I received my antibodies......because I am RH negative. The shot didn't faze me, but Zach's face explained it all (because he looked like a deer in headlights) when he saw how long the needle was and it was shoved all the way into my arm. The needle was a few inches long. Hopefully that wasn't foreshadowing as to how he will react when a large head comes out of me :)
Another.....hhhmmmmmm, how should I say it, "new pregnancy" thing going on with me.....my stomach muscles have officially separated. This was so weird to see. I only noticed this when I was laying on my back and we were listening to the heartbeat and I started to get up (using my ab muscles) and the top part of my abdomen made this strange bump....I said, "what is that!?!" Carolee said that my ab muscles have separated. What do I think about this???? Not really sure.....it kind of worried me though even though she said it wasn't a big deal and pretty common. (picture to come so you can laugh with me:))
"They separate naturally and the muscles and ligaments are softened by a hormone your body secretes during pregnancy. They go back together after the baby is born. The only time there is any permanent separation is usually with multiples or excessive weight gain.
What Causes Separated Muscles?
The rectus abdominus is kept in line by your transverse abs (the girdle like muscles that help keep your stomach flat) and your oblique abs (the muscles around your sides). During pregnancy, your abdominal muscles tend to separate due to the growth of your baby in your uterus. This growth exerts pressure on the rectus abdominus muscles, causing them to split. Women who experience rapid growth of their stomachs during pregnancy are more likely to suffer from separated abdominal muscles. Also, women who are small, have little body fat and only gain "belly weight" are more likely to have their muscles expand."
How Common are Separated Muscles?
Separated muscles are actually fairly common during pregnancy. About one-third of all pregnant women experience separated muscles at some point throughout their pregnancy. Separation of the stomach muscles is more likely to occur during the second trimester or third trimester of pregnancy. However, separation also frequently occurs during labor and delivery.
So, as long as they go back to normal, its all good. I didn't really know what to say at the time she told me that my muscles separated, but I'm sure I will have many more questions at the next appt. because now my mind is wondering........has anyone else had this happened--that you knew about??? Again, my mother in law said, it probably happened to her, they just didn't know about it then. I'm just a little frustrated now, because I'm nervous to do any kind of exercise other than walking and I NEED to exercise......thank goodness our first birthing class is tomorrow, so I can figure out exactly what I can and can't do. Zach says I'm probably over reacting.....hopefully he's right :)
The rectus abdominus is kept in line by your transverse abs (the girdle like muscles that help keep your stomach flat) and your oblique abs (the muscles around your sides). During pregnancy, your abdominal muscles tend to separate due to the growth of your baby in your uterus. This growth exerts pressure on the rectus abdominus muscles, causing them to split. Women who experience rapid growth of their stomachs during pregnancy are more likely to suffer from separated abdominal muscles. Also, women who are small, have little body fat and only gain "belly weight" are more likely to have their muscles expand."
How Common are Separated Muscles?
Separated muscles are actually fairly common during pregnancy. About one-third of all pregnant women experience separated muscles at some point throughout their pregnancy. Separation of the stomach muscles is more likely to occur during the second trimester or third trimester of pregnancy. However, separation also frequently occurs during labor and delivery.
So, as long as they go back to normal, its all good. I didn't really know what to say at the time she told me that my muscles separated, but I'm sure I will have many more questions at the next appt. because now my mind is wondering........has anyone else had this happened--that you knew about??? Again, my mother in law said, it probably happened to her, they just didn't know about it then. I'm just a little frustrated now, because I'm nervous to do any kind of exercise other than walking and I NEED to exercise......thank goodness our first birthing class is tomorrow, so I can figure out exactly what I can and can't do. Zach says I'm probably over reacting.....hopefully he's right :)
I gained another pound, YA! Blood pressure, measurements, heartbeat and everything A-OK! Sophia is breeched.....lets just hope she decides to take a dive down soon.
Overall, great appointment! Already looking forward to the next one!
No comments:
Post a Comment