Our baby is the size of a grape this week, but boy is it making me nauseous :( I've been feeling horrible for about 4 weeks now and the only thing that helps is acupuncture and eating! "Lord help me not to be one of those women who gains 80 pounds..."
I don't have "morning sickness", I have "all day and night sickness", but I know ITS ALL WORTH IT! Zach and I went to our first official appointment with the nurse last Friday and it couldn't have gone better. At first, she was just asking all of the basic questions, until Zach started to make her laugh and got her to open up a little and made it fun. He would tell the nurse things like, " Just don't take me into a room with 'tongs' in it....." She said, "you mean stirrups...." It was hilarious......and we had a fun time with her. Anyway, this was just supposed to be an 8 week basic check-up with blood tests and things like that. When we got into the exam room, I asked if we could try and listen for the heartbeat. The nurse told us that you can almost NEVER hear it until at least 12 weeks, but I think because she really liked us, she told us she would try too--only because I was "skinny enough--she said there wasn't a lot of stuff to go thru" and under one condition: I wouldn't get upset if she couldn't find it. We shook on it and the next thing I knew, my lower stomach was smothered in goo and she was rubbing a stick like thing with a microphone over my belly. After about 2 minutes of listening, we heard the most beautiful sound in the world--our babies heart beat!!! I started crying and Zach had the largest smile on his face while he held my hand. It was so loud and fast, beating about 160 beats per minute. The nurse confirmed it was perfect and very healthy sounding. Zach and I left that appointment with the biggest smirks on our faces and in the best moods :) We are so grateful for our baby!! I know now that this is for real!
Your new resident is nearly an inch long -- about the size of a grape -- and weighs just a fraction of an ounce. She's starting to look more and more human. Her essential body parts are accounted for, though they'll go through plenty of fine-tuning in the coming months. Other changes abound: Your baby's heart finishes dividing into four chambers, and the valves start to form -- as do her tiny teeth. The embryonic "tail" is completely gone. Your baby's organs, muscles, and nerves are kicking into gear. The external sex organs are there but won't be distinguishable as male or female for another few weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment