Thursday, February 14th, I barely slept at night
because I was having contractions. They
weren’t exactly painful, just uncomfortable enough that they kept me from
sleeping.
Friday, February 15th. I tried to take a nap with Sophia and AGAIN,
could not sleep L After Sophia woke up, I was discouraged and
tired. I called Carolee on her cell
phone (because that’s how wonderful it is having a midwife, I have their cell
numbers!) Carolee was the midwife on
call that week, the same one who caught Sophia J I shared with her that I wasn’t in labor,
just very uncomfortable and haven’t been sleeping. I said, “What if I go another week without
sleeping, then have to give birth? I
won’t have any energy.” The Birth House
is normally closed on Fridays (unless there is a birth) She was in town
shopping at Anne Taylor and told me to meet her at the Birth house in an hour
and she would check me. She said if I
was dilated to a “2” we will find a way to help me sleep. If I am dilated to a “4”, she could “break my
water and have a baby tonight.” She told
me to bring my birth bag just in case. I
instantly became overwhelmed with joy! I
just had a feeling that tonight would be the night! I called Zach and told him the plan.
It worked out perfectly, because I already had arranged with
Gwen “YiaYia” to pick up Sophia at 3pm for a few hours. She ended up taking her the rest of the night
and put her to sleep at our house.
3:30pm-Zach and I met with Carolee and the intern,
Lisa. Sure enough, I was dilated to a
FOUR! So pretty much, I had been in
labor for probably a few days just going on about my life. She explained that oftentimes with second
births, your body does a lot of work before hand, which is why most second
births happen quickly. After she checked me, she said, “are you ready to have
your baby?” I started crying and looked
at Zach and said, “are you ready?” Of
course we were!
She walked us back to our cozy and beautiful birth
room. The lights were dimmed and all the
lamps were on with burning candles and relaxing music. I plopped myself on the bed and she broke my
water. Then I put on a diaper J I didn’t feel a
thing. It was a BEAUTIFUL day, so Zach
and I took a 25 minute walk outside.
Right away, my contractions started getting more intense and closer
together. Even though it was sunny
outside, it was freezing, so we headed back into the birth house. Because it was CLOSED, we had the entire
house to ourselves! I walked to the
front of the house and started walking up and down the stairs to get things
really going. I was in a “Let’s Do This”
type of mood! Even though the stairs
made the contractions harder and closer together, I knew it would only make
things go faster so I could meet my precious girl! I asked Lisa “how can I speed things
up?” She told me to try and relax when
the contractions hit. This sounds like
an oxymoron, because it’s very difficult, but I did it. I honestly breathed and relaxed through every
contraction, because I knew it would bring baby Khloe here faster.
After about an hour of laboring on my feet, I was ready for
the tub! I went back to my room and
waited for the tub to be filled. I was
in full laboring mode at this point. The
second I lowered my belly into the warm water, I felt a sense of comfort. Don’t get me wrong, it was still the worst
pain of my life, however it really helped with the pain. I labored for another hour or so….Zach was by
my side with EVERY single contraction from the very beginning. I put my hands around his neck and he would
rub my lower back because I had some intense back labor. He was once again, AMAZING!!! My midwife told me that we have a very
special bond/connection because we literally labor together J My mom had also made
it there at some point and made a special book full of pictures of Sophia for
me to look at to motivate me J
Towards the end of the contraction stage, I was heard saying
things like:
- Looking at Carolee, “can’t you just help get her out!”
- Looking at Zach, “Help me!” Carolee looked at me and said, “honey, you can DO THIS by yourself.”
- Looking at my mom, “Mom, please PRAY for me!!!”
- “This is AWFUL!!!”
I started to feel the urge to push. I pushed for about 20 minutes, then her head
crowned. I reached down and felt Khloe’s
head. One more push and her head came
out. Carolee reached down into the tub
and wrapped her hands around her neck. I
pushed as hard as I could and Carolee caught her and placed her right away on
my chest. She instantly started crying
and coughing—my healthy girl! My heart
instantly grew 10 sizes larger! I held
her while sitting in the tub until Daddy cut the cord. I then handed her off to Daddy while I
birthed the placenta and got sprayed off.
I made my way to the bed and got cozy with Khloe in my arms and Zach by
my side. She took to the breast right
away and her APGAR test was a perfect 10!
We were home 3 hours later before midnight. Altogether it lasted about 4 hours. She was born at 8:08pm in the water. I LOVED giving birth in the water! It was “easier” than last time, if that is
even possible J
Zach and I once again, were in pure bliss! One of the best days of my life, along with
the day I married Zach and the day I had Sophia. The Lord is so Good! I praise Him for giving me this precious gift
and for giving me such a wonderful birth experience. I had two prayers for this labor, other than
the health of Khloe and it was to give birth during the day and for it to go
quickly! Thank you Jesus for fulfilling
the desires of my heart!
We feel as if our wonderful little family is now
complete!
Differences with this labor:
Instead of fighting the contractions, like I did with Sophia, I welcomed
each one this time. It was the hardest
thing I have ever done, but somehow, felt a peach with each one.
Seconds after she came out! Pure Bliss!
Happy and emotional mommy and daddy
Skin to skin contact with daddy while mommy got cleaned off.
Our perfect second born!
Auntie Kat showed up shortly after Khloe was born and had a special moment with Nana!
Checking out her lungs :)
After Khloe was born, Daddy and Aunt Kat drove to Thriftway and bought a lot of food. Daddy came back with a bottle of scotch to celebrate. Everyone except mama took a shot to celebrate Khloe!
After Khloe was born, Daddy and Aunt Kat drove to Thriftway and bought a lot of food. Daddy came back with a bottle of scotch to celebrate. Everyone except mama took a shot to celebrate Khloe!
Enjoying Khloe
Perfect lil' feet
Carolee our midwife
Aaah...I cried. What a beautiful story. I'm so happy it was fast too! Congratulations again. I can't wait to meet her.
ReplyDelete