Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, January 16, 2011

24 Weeks--She's almost a Foot Long!

Being pregnant continues to amaze me every day.  Just the fact that a human is growing inside of me is enough to blow my mind!  God is so creative!  Sophia has unfortunately discovered my bladder and keeps me running to the bathroom about every 30 minutes!  I've always had a good flow going because of how much water I drink, however, now I just feel like not even pulling up my pants because I know I'll be right back in the bathroom soon :)

I also think I had my first "Braxton Hicks Contraction," because my lower abdomen got REALLY tight for a few seconds...it was kind of strange.  After a little panic and talking to my officials, I learned what it was.  I thought it was way too early to feel those, but apparently its pretty normal to feel them as early as 20 weeks and just as long as I don't have to breathe through them and they don't last more than 30 minutes, my body is just preparing for Sophia's delivery! Amazing!

After talking it over with Zachary, we decided we are going to attend the 6 week birthing class instead of the one-day.  The preparation classes start February 20th and end March 20th.  The last class will be after all of us deliver, so its like a reunion and we get to meet everyone's babies and talk about our birth experiences.


OK, I look HUGE here because my husband didn't get his butt off of the chair to take the pic, so the angle is absolutely hideous and my sweater is giving the appearance of making me look bigger!  My friend told me I look full term :) 

Your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts her at just over a pound. Since she's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), s he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but her body is filling out proportionally and she'll soon start to plump up. Her brain is also growing quickly now, and her taste buds are continuing to develop. Her lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help her air sacs inflate once she hits the outside world. Her skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.

1 comment: