Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, March 24, 2011

We found us a Pediatrician!!!

I'm feeling really good about checking this one off the list!

The decisions began with whether or not we put Sophia under Daddy's insurance (Group Health) or my insurance (Regence).  After weeks of asking around and researching numerous Pediatricians, we decided to interview Dr. Hubbard at Group Health, because 3 people personally told me that I would really like her and she would be a good fit with our family.  I called to make an appointment/interview with her, and unfortunately she has been full and not accepting new patients for quite some time.....so  I decided to put my "sales" skilz into action!  I finally was able to get a hold of Dr. Hubbard's nurse and I had a really good conversation with her.  She told me she would personally talk with Dr. H and get back to me the next day.  She did call me back the next day (I just love when people do what they say they are going to do) and she told me that Dr. H would let us in!!!!  Ya!  So I scheduled an interview with her just to make sure it was a good fit.

So Zach and I made our way to Group Health early Wednesday morning.  The pediatrician wing wasn't that great (not like the office that I went to as a little girl).  However, there was a large aquarium with the typical fun kid rugs on the floor.  I have to say though, nothing special.  Right away, we were greeted by a very friendly nurse who brought us back to one of the exam rooms.  I was making sure that there was a good feel with the people that worked there......I had such a wonderful Dr. experience growing up, I want Sophia to have the same!

Right away, Dr. H came into the room.  She had a big smile on her face and was very warm.  She has been with GH for 22 years.  We talked with her for about 45 minutes and I have to say that she had me at "hello."  :)  I had a list of questions and they couldn't have been answered more perfectly!  The 3 people that recommended her were right!  She was very current on the latest health issues/vaccines and was very supportive of the way we want to raise our children.  I also love that she practices preventative health and she was honest about the fact that many Dr's in the last 15 years have done a good job at over prescribing antibiotics/flu shots/etc.  She was also a great listener and wanted to hear what we had to say.  She is exactly what we are looking for in a Pediatrician, I'm excited for Sophia to meet her.

Here are some of the questions we had for her:
    • How can we reach you if Sophia gets sick after hours?
    •  How long do the appt. last?  Do appts. consistently run late here?
    • How soon after Sophia is born will you see her?
    • What are your views on breastfeeding and immunizations? We want a doctor that is going to be very supportive of breast feeding and on our choice with vaccinating or not vaccinating. 
    • What's your opinion on flu shots?
    •  Do many of the mothers in your practice breastfeed their babies successfully?
    • What is your philosophy about antibiotics or other medication for children who have colds or other ailments?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment